Tuesday, January 26, 2010
Monday, January 25, 2010
Thursday, January 21, 2010
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
Sunday, January 17, 2010
Friday, January 15, 2010
he does not want to wear his socks. i want his piggies to be warm and toasty, and it's cold in the basement. he pulls them off, and crawls away. i snatch them up, i snatch him up, and we sit down, and i put them back on. he thinks it's a game. i think it's a war. some days i think i win. some days i know he wins. most of the time it's a draw--he walks around with one sock on and one sock off. i guess i should be glad that at least half of his toes are warm and that so far (knock on wood) we are at least managing to still have pairs of socks. yay for small victories.
speaking of which, i see some naked piggies...
cute handmade socks found here.
Thursday, January 14, 2010
Monday, January 11, 2010
Sunday, January 10, 2010
so i'm technically calling this my second try at experimental food for 2010. i sorta cheated for the first one, as it wasn't exactly a new recipe or a new food, but a new technique. last sunday i tried making my own sourdough hot pretzels, complete with dropping them in boiling water and the whole 9.
but this week i was really jumping out of my comfort zone with this recipe for moroccan lentil soup. i've never used garam masala or (to my knowledge) cardamom for anything before, so i basically had no idea how it was going to turn out. overall, i think it was pretty successful -- i mixed some with sammy's peas before i pureed them, and he ate a huge helping -- and of course, i had a nice big bowl-full (and enjoyed it). mike, however, opted out of the adventure tonight, and that's why i'm considering myself today's kitchen rockstar -- i basically had to prepare three separate meals for us tonight. soup and homemade sourdough bread for me (and sam), skillet lasagna and spinach and broccoli salad for mike, and pureed peas (with lentil soup) for sam. AND everything got done at the same time, so we could all eat together. woot!
but the very best part is that we've got lovely leftovers for everyone tomorrow night, so even though i made a slight mountain of dirty dishes, it was totally worth it (especially when mike is on clean-up duty, heh heh).
Friday, January 8, 2010
huzzah! one thing to cross off my project list. the scarf that has been in-progress for the majority of 2009 is finally done. it's sorta short, but it does the job and keeps my neck nice and cozy. of course, it looks about a million times cuter on my little model.
Wednesday, January 6, 2010
Friday, January 1, 2010
here they are, in no particular order:
- buy a new calendar and remember to write things down on it
- try more new foods/new recipes (ideally one a week -- realizing that life sometimes doesn't allow for such things - quick'n'easy/tried'n'true meals are called such for a reason)
- remember to set aside time for excercise (preferrably before 10pm)
- find more time to be creative and make things with my own two hands (this includes finishing the scarf i've been working on for nearly a year now, and various other projects in multiple stages of not-finishedness -- this does not include random messes and piles of unwashed dishes)
- fill up one sketchbook
- buy pretty/fun stamps and send real letters
- teach sam how to use a sippy cup
- buy less "stuff" (in particluar, do not buy more things for more projects that i have no hope of finishing before i'm able to finish all the projects i've already bought materials for)
- feel better about my post-sam body
- get more organized (especially when it comes to papers/magazines/etc.) and learn how to use the new back-up drive we got for christmas
- clean the bathroom before it becomes atrocious (this is a big one. it's always atrocious.)
- make a genuine effort to market myself (which includes setting up some kind of portfolio site)
*whew* i think this is enough to begin with.
p.s. that cute planner can be found here.
and we've already gotten our first buckeye win for 2010. i'd say things have started off swimmingly.
hope you all have a great new year! happy 2010!
now that all the festivities are over, i've been thinking about what to report about christmas. i guess the bottom line is this: our families are awesome. we love to see them. we love to hang out and eat great food and be silly and play video games and make cookies and do all those fun things that just don't happen enough. we do not, however, enjoy driving with the threat of a screaming boy hovering over us in the backseat while we make our way to the various gatherings. and though we really did have a spectacular time, and sam (for the most part) did a fabulous job of sleeping in transport, i do certainly hope that in the future sam will roll with things a little easier. it took a couple of days of being back in his home territory for him to settle back down into his "schedule". in the past week we have all been making good use of his new stash of toys (and i'm enjoying the fact that we've got a place to store most of them too! woo!) thanks to all who made this such a happy holiday for the three of us. we love you!
still, i really think someone needs to get busy and invent those transporters right quick. i don't know what the hold-up is. they've had them on star trek for ages. who's with me? missy?